Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cat Hair in My Coffee by Just Jennifer

   
I am a busy mom with 2 of my 3 children still at home. I also have a household to run alone, a full-time job, and this writing gig. My life is hectic. My home is usually messy, my laundry is never quite finished (I wash it, it just doesn't get put away), and I'm sure I've forgotten what color my hair once was (brown? Surely not this speckled grey color). Don't judge me...my kids are healthy and, except for the occasional rant, quite happy. But this morning started out all wrong. At 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning, I woke up to the family cat, Annabelle, screeching outside my bedroom door. I jumped out of bed, enthusiastically ready to start my day (or saying a few choice words and groaning...it's really all about perception). I was awake and I was moving, so I thought I might as well get some coffee brewing. Being that the little one (as I refer to the youngest of the brood) was still asleep, I made sure to tiptoe past her bedroom. As I finished starting my brew and sat on my favorite end of the couch I heard it: the familiar sound of the little one tossing and turning. For those of you who are parents, you know the sound. And what do we do? We sit very still, we hardly breathe, we slowly reach for the television remote and turn it off....anything that might keep her asleep for another 30 minutes. That's what good parenting is, right? Ensuring your children get enough sleep? Ok, stop judging me. I heard the little one settle down and made my way to the kitchen for my cupful of morning bliss. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed my favorite hand warmer mug and poured my dark roast cup of love. Yes, I love coffee. I love it like I love wine, but that's another story. As I lifted my own personal bit of joy in the mornings to my lips, I saw it: a big, bold, arrogant cat hair in my coffee. What did I do? I scooped it out and drank my coffee!! The point of all this is to simply say that a cat hair in my coffee is minor. It's nothing. Whether the house is clean, the laundry is folded, or the little one stays asleep long enough for me to indulge in my morning brew peacefully...these are the small things in life. Take them as such. Simply scoop the cat hair from your coffee, take a satisfying drink, and save your energy for the big things. But, that's just my opinion.

(*** Just Jennifer is proud to call Mississippi home and welcomes your feedback on this topic. Email your thoughts and questions to Jennifer at justjennifer.cmg@gmail.com. You can also find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/imjustjennifer. (The views expressed here are those of Just Jennifer and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts of Conversations Media Group or Shadow Play Entertainment.)

No comments: